Powered by Blogger

Blog Flux Directory

Who links to me?

Friday, May 23, 2008

 

SDCCS Art Night Showcase and Auction 2008

With art, music, and 'full-service dining', last night's event at SDCCS was, to me, a complete success. I missed last year's art night, unfortunately, so I don't anything against which to compare last night. Considering, though, the mere fact that this school location gives us the room to stretch out and be more expressive, it isn't hard to imagine that this year's event was by far fuller, richer, and more exuberant.

I had the pleasure of donating a piece for the auction, although I had begun to wonder if it was appropriate.

Miss Bell with kids' art (by ebilflindastream)

I mean, certainly, a photograph of the school's Art teacher would be an apropos donation to the school, but as an auction item? Who would bid on it other than Allison, herself, or her own mother? I was a bit surprised, then, to hear that it had been bid on several times, in fact. I joked about it, wondering, of those who bid on it, who had little boys who had crushes on their beloved Art teacher. In the end, Nancy, Allison's mom, prevailed, and was able to take the print home.

There was so much going on, so much to see.



One of my favourites was the array of photographs taken by Morgan's and Jacob's kindergarten classes. It's truly delightful to see things from a young child's point of view. Especially with photography, which is a rather egalitarian medium, what is produced is essentially the same, regardless of the age or experience of the photographer--it's still a photograph, printed as any other photograph. It's the quality of the image, though, the subject, the composition, the je ne sais quoi, that makes it special. The kinder-photography had the quality of unfettered vision, of a point of view unfiltered by technique and prejudice. There were at least a couple photos that made me sigh and think, "That's how I want to shoot!"

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger ma otter said...

great post and documentation!! just awesome all the art that went on...my favorite being the nature art...so cooL
thanks for doing it all...
and I love that photo of Allison...

8:30 AM  
Blogger lydiafdc said...

beautiful pix (of course)! And you completely captured so many aspects of that event...it really was amazing. Now you have to dish what treatment you used on the Allsion Bell pic?! ;)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Yes, it was a beautiful night, with almost to much to see and not enough time to experience it all to the fullest! It took me a while to figure out that the photo's taken by the Kinder kids were actually from little people. I thought they were taken by middle school kids. Your so right about how absolutely pure their eyes were behind the lenses.
As for your portrait of Alison Bell, I really wanted to bid on it...but it seemed only right that her Mother should be the one taking it home...how beautiful ! We are so lucky to be among such creative and talented people/big and small on a daily basis !

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post Emil. Your intelligence and thoughtfulness about life and everything in general continue to impress me! Let's face it we're all in love with Allison Bell..she's just awesomeness personified.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your post and your Flickr pics. Can you email me to tell me a little bit more about your art night. We are starting one at our school and I would love your input. Thanks.
mom23guys1girl@hotmail.com

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home