Powered by Blogger

Blog Flux Directory

Who links to me?

Monday, October 22, 2007

 

Illegal Wildfires?


smokey
Originally uploaded by ebilflindas
No doubt you're aware that San Diego is once again besieged by wildfires. Ahead of the curve, SDCCS canceled classes for today and tomorrow--as Amy said, "In Michigan, this would be a snow day!"

Indeed.

In places of "weather", things shut down when it gets too cold. Here in the coastal desert, it's just the opposite.

Now for my conspiracy theory.

Watching the news this morning (the local Fox affiliate--since shutting off the cable, it's one of the clearest channels I get over the air), one of the anchors slipped in the speculation that the fires may have been caused, in part, by illegal aliens. It was the only time I heard the assertion, and I haven't heard much else in the way of suspected causes.

It makes me wonder, though, about those who are always so quick to blame wildfires here on illegal aliens crossing from Mexico. It speaks of an incredible disregard for the human beings risking their lives for the chance at a better one. Certainly we know that these "Minutemen" types already despise immigrants, but do they really think that those crossing already inhospitable terrain would make things even more dangerous and even fatal?

I was reminded of the wildfires in Greece and of an online friend explaining that the conflagrations had very likely been intentionally set by politically radical movements. I couldn't help but wonder how easy it would be for the politically unscrupulous here, in the land-of-the-free-home-of-the-brave, to do something similar. Sure, there are some bad dudes that come up illegally, but that doesn't make them all "predator aliens" (no, not some sci-fi hybrid)--but to what lengths would immigration 'reformers' go in order to get their way?

Just wondering.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah I hope this means you are back to regular blogging! I know sometimes it is hard to keep up - but I always enjoy your posts.

I just wrote my own "snow day" post over at my place! I was born and spent my first 11 years in Michigan too so Amy and I are on the same wave length.

I just laughed at your "apathy nerve" comment on my blog. To be honest I giggled because "apathy nerve" sounds kinda dirty...

10:30 PM  
Blogger E'l Roy said...

Thanks, Lau--that's encouraging, but damn, it is hard to keep up with you!

And yeah, it sounds dirty 'cuz the Dems are makin' me feel dirty! Not the ones I like, mind you; just the ones who bend over for the Repugnantcans.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

That is just plain low to make those kind of speculations... really sucks !! I refused to turn on the news today, although, Alan did a few times, and I just hate how things like this are covered so I bolted out of the room. I listened to KPBS and they did what I think was the best kind of reporting...facts, and information on where to go, etc. They took calls from real people trying to figure out what was up..You probally listened to...

My heart goes out to everyone that is affected by Mother Earths raging fires...

11:13 PM  
Blogger E'l Roy said...

Oh yeah, I've been listening all day, with one earbud plugged into my head. Still listening, in fact. The evacuation calls have a way to go before they reach us, but it seems to be closer than in 2003.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm..interesting. Sounds like school may be closed again tomorrow..Weds..what do you think?

As a person that never had a snow day in their life...I can't relate...but these fire days suck!

10:50 AM  
Blogger ma otter said...

I am so sick of the politicians thanking eachother ... the only person I can watch on the screen is the sign language lady...shes mesmerizing and I love her because her face actually looks truly sad when she sign "destroyed homes".
annie

10:56 PM  
Blogger E'l Roy said...

OMG did you catch the three-way between Hunter, Bilbray, and Issa--they were practically rubbing eachother off at the podium!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are wise far past what the Webster Dic' might define ... don't stop.

"Never,never,never quit",
Winston Churchill ~ I Agree.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home