Powered by Blogger

Blog Flux Directory

Who links to me?

Friday, June 08, 2007

 

SDCCS "Phoenix Cards"?


There is no spoon
Originally uploaded by ebilflindas
(Here you go, Annie...)

So, all you SDCCS parents--and any parents, in general, who are reading this--I had this idea...wait...let me back up a bit...

One of the cool things about using Flickr is that there are a bunch of third-party applications that you can use with your photos. One guy, John Watson, has a website, fd's Flickr Toys with all sorts of cool things to do with your images--from making yourself a Flickr ID badge; to giving your photos a kind of Andy Warhol treatment; to creating, as shown here, trading cards from you photos, à la Pokemon cards (see where I'm going with this?).

The Councilor
The Councilor
Originally uploaded by ebilflindas
So I had this idea of making up cards for our kids, not necessarily for trading, but for collecting, y'know? The kids could fill out a blank template, describing themselves--their strengths (or powers, if you will)--what 'element' they most associate with, what their 'kyptonite' is (honey and raisins, for me). On the back of the card could be the school logo... And why just for the kids? We could make up cards for the faculty, staff, and parents, too! How fun would that be?

Anyone know any printers that could do something like this? I wonder if Charlie Upham would be able to...hmmm...

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger erica said...

I love it!!! emmett's card had me crackin up...i think he's used dumbstrike on me a few times!

11:29 AM  
Blogger lydiafdc said...

What an idea! Perhaps we should consult Emmett about how to proceed with the development...so cool!

7:13 PM  
Blogger daleth said...

Oh my... sooooooo funny!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Great idea.

I have spent a lot of time looking through those Flickr third party applications. I spent about an hour one night making little cards - they were so cool. I almost spent the 19 bucks to order them when it dawned on me I had no idea what I would do w/ them - the last thing we need in our house is stuff w/ no place to go so I held off. I might do them for X-mas next year.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I forgot to say Pablo and I are brainstorming for his card. All he knows so far is that he wants his to involve a baseball bat!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

That is a great idea !! I love it !! I am sure there must be some way we can print them...I can try on my printer if you like..maybe use photo paper..does it allow you to print ??

On the subject of a class photo DVD, Morgan would love for you to compile all your pictures and then burn copies for all the families. I am thinking we can burn on our computer, I have to check, either way someone can. I will look at some of my photo's to see what I have... P.S. You can't forget the turtles at the Zoo....

9:26 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

OK so Pablo and I made one. I don't know the lingo well enough to write very much text. I am planning on consulting the Councilor for some guidance.

Pablo had fun picking out the icons for his card - of course he needed to have 6 of them.

FYI we have no idea where his baseball obsession came from - to the horror of his papa he has loved baseball ever since he could walk. However Papa is happy that he likes soccer too.

9:36 AM  
Blogger ma otter said...

Emil,

I finally got to see the cards! Awesome, lets do it. Tell what i need to do.

Matt

5:39 PM  
Blogger E'l Roy said...

I've had one printed before, but it came out, well, like a photograph. I was thinking more on the lines of having 'em printed on some kind of card stock--just like playing/trading cards, complete with the schools logo on the back. Also, you don't need to have a Flickr account--you can upload from your computer.

11:26 PM  
Blogger CJ Lucke said...

This is hilarious! And a great idea .. maybe we could do one for all the foes of the school as well (the villian "heartless" comes to mind) ..ok - just kidding.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just Visiting from www.allformoms.blogspot.com
That is a great idea, my son would love that!!!

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home