Powered by Blogger

Blog Flux Directory

Who links to me?

Monday, June 04, 2007

 

Super Star Campers!

By the campfire
By the Campfire
Originally uploaded by ebilflindas

This past weekend, my son and I joined his kindergarten teacher (the FABULOUS Miss Morgan) and several of the other families in the class for a three-day/two-night camping trip. Located in the Laguna Mountains, we camped at the Laguna/El Prado Campsite, right next to the El Prado Meadow. Ren and I got there a bit after three in the afternoon on Friday, to find the Dreyer/Lockee clan and Erica and Isaiah already set up. It was my first time setting up a tent for myself, so after scoping out how the others had set up (I wouldn't have thought about putting a mat/ground cover in front of the tent flap until I'd dragged in a bunch of dirt) I had our tent pitched in no time (thanks, btw, to Sybil for letting us use their little 3-person tent). It wasn't long before the rest of the Friday-nighters arrived.


Saturday, Matt led us on a hike through the El Prado Meadow, through (the now dry) Little Laguna Lake, down to Big Laguna Lake, which sits in the middle of Laguna Meadow. While the kids waded in the mucky water, looking for frogs, Lynn, Morgan, and Matt entertained us with bear stories (sorry Morgan, but it's such a fun, storytelling shot!).

lake-pano
Big Laguna Lake
Originally uploaded by ebilflindas


The hike pretty much did us in, as far as any more physical activity, so we proceeded to eat. And eat.

And eat. We were quite blessed with an over-abundance of food. And good food, at that. Melissa's lentil soup was incredible, as was her apple crisp. I missed out on pizza, but heard it was a hit. Amy grilled up some fabulous portabella mushrooms and cheese, and I must admit that I, for one, quite enjoyed Sue's jello shots and margaritas! Breakfast both mornings was perfect, but I was most glad for the multiple pots of coffee and for Annie graciously letting me use her beautifully crafted mug.

DSCF8547
Groovin' by the Campfire
Originally uploaded by ebilflindas

The success of the weekend was more than just the children having a good time camping together. Sure, that part was great, especially for my son, who had never been camping before; but these kids spend five days a week together--and we already know how well they get along at school. So yes, that was nice, but what was really cool was seeing how well the grown-ups (or gr'ups) got along.

Along with how well everyone camped together, it was neat to see everyone all together. Generally speaking, I pretty much only see the other kids' moms at school--and online! So it was interesting to see all the dads in one place.

Matt rockin' the National
Matt on the National
Originally uploaded by ebilflindas

I was particularly glad to be able to hang out with Matt. For those of you who haven't already heard, Matt and I are kungfu brothers from days of yore. I remember meeting both Mac and Emmett when they were infants. Life goes on, though, and while we have boys in the same class, we don't get to hang out quite like before.

It was really cool to sit with him and listen to his stories while he played the guitar. Thanks for letting me play along with you, Matt. My blues harp ain't as smooth as your slide, but it sure was fun.

GroupBW
Sunday Morning Group Photo
Originally uploaded by ebilflindas


Thank you, everyone, for such a great time. In Morgan's words, "it was an unequivocal success!" I couldn't agree more. It was a lot of fun, and I hope we get to do it again soon--didn't I hear someone suggest a beginning-of-the-school-year camp-out?

5 Comments:

Blogger ma otter said...

Emil,

Annie and i were saying that you were the guy that laughed at everyone's jokes, took all the great pics and were generally the all around cool guy. I was glad to be buds at Fu and am more so now.
Awesome blog by the way...

Matt

PS. I'm gonna download some of the pics off elfblindas if you don't mind

5:52 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Emil...you are the BEST...your post has brought tears to my eyes, and happy warm feelings in my heart....sap...sap...sap...

p.s. Loved your Blue's Harp !!!

8:43 AM  
Blogger daleth said...

I liked your narrative!

6:27 PM  
Blogger erica said...

I have to agree with everyone else here...you are awesome and thanks for capturing so much of what went on this year, including our amazing camping trip which, in my opinion, we should do again before the beginning of next year!!

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Emil. You're right..yes, our kids get along, but it was really wonderful to spend some quality time with the great parents of the great kids in Morgan's class. Love ya!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home