Powered by Blogger

Blog Flux Directory

Who links to me?

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

 

Tell Me a Secret: 07/01/2005 - 07/31/2005

Tell Me a Secret: 07/01/2005 - 07/31/2005: "I found myself...
Sleeping in a grave-size space"

Khalid Jarrar offers us one of many personal insights into life in Iraq. Take the time to read this. It's a long one, but remember, he can't exactly just sit down to post up whenever he feels like it. Hell, he was detained just for reading others' blogs.

Reading his incredible story of simply going about his business, only to find himself suddenly locked up for no good reason, saddened me, while simultaneously encouraged me. That this man, as many others I'm sure, can endure what's going on, and yet maintain such a humble and compassionate countenance is truly remarkable.

A coworker told me recently that she enjoys watching crap like Being Bobby Brown, or whatever the hell that nonsense is called, because it makes her feel better about her own life. Isn't that what a lot of people say? "Oh, I really just watch _________ because I can say 'At least my life ain't that fucked up'." Maybe more of us need to tune into some real drama, some real reality -- you can't make up the shit that's really going on. What was it Bono (back when U2 was worth listening to) sang? "...When war is fiction / and TV reality..." Something like that.

If you're reading this, then you're probably already aware that there's more going on than how many effin' outfits Diddy had at the VMAs. I know I'm mostly preachin' to the choir, but maybe if each of us got just one person to read Khalid's blog, or Raed's, or Faiza's, or any number of outlets where we can catch of glimpse of reality (and not the one the Bush administration manufactures), then maybe... just... oh, I don't know. Just do me a favor. The next time you here someone say, "OMIGOD! Did you watch Being Bobby last night?!?", send 'em this way.

Salaam, Shalom, Aloha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home