Powered by Blogger

Blog Flux Directory

Who links to me?

Thursday, August 11, 2005

 

365 and a Wakeup


"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

- Act IV, Scene I, Macbeth

This morning the sky raged with the burnt glow of a dying fire. It was as if the wind had blown through some ancient wound in the earth and spilled the deserts very blood into the air.


So opens the blog post for August 8th, Wicked Light, written by Capt. Danjel Bout (Thunder6), on his blog 365 and a Wakeup.

I'd never looked up a military blog. I'd read mention of them, mainly in Doonesbury, but never read one. Come to think of it, I didn't read many blogs; outside the comfort and safety of Myspace, that is. So, now I've cut myself off from Myspace; well, from blogging there, anyway. At the same time, I've been incubating a topic-idea for a paper I need to write. The topic is blogging and politics -- I know, *yawn*, but the instructor thinks it's a good topic. Besides, I will not aim to be academically noble and challenge myself to research something I know nothing about, y'know, to learn something. I'll tell you what I'm learning -- how to go to school, work, and be a single-dad, and live. Anyway...

I'd never thought to check out a sodier's blog until I watched The Daily Show tonight. Jon's guest was John Hockenberry, who wrote The Blogs of War, a feature article in the current issue of Wired.

After hearing the interview, reading the article, and then reading Thunder6's two most recent posts there is no way I could write about it myself and do it justice. I think Mr. Hockenberry puts it best when he describes Capt. Bout's posts as "the details of Army life in language evocative of literary warbloggers of yore like Thucydides, Homer, Thomas Paine, and John Donne."

Indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home